I was going to tell you about how a delicious unhealthy dessert is ok once in a while. About how I make this Tiramisu once every 2 years and enjoy every bite.
Because Tiramisu is full of cream, cheese, coffee and alcohol, it seemed like the unhealthiest dessert ever. Well it is. When I compare it to my other dessert recipes.
But if you compare it to some refined flour refined sugar full of shortening desserts, Tiramisu is not that bad ;-).
And if you want to impress a crowd, it is the perfect dessert. It takes 15 minutes of your time and you can easily double the recipe. And it is delicious!
Light adaptation of “Tiramisu”, Young and Hungry, Dave Lieberman
- 1/2 cup 15% or 35% country style cream (tried both)
- 1 package (275 g) mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 1 cup brewed espresso (or very strong good quality coffee), cooled
- 1/4 cup amber rum
- 14 savoirdi ladyfingers (approximately)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions: In a flat bottom bowl, mix the espresso and rum together. In a big bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the cream, mascarpone, vanilla and sugar together.
Dip a ladyfinger in the espresso and rum mixture for (only) 1-2 seconds. Place it on the bottom of a bread pan. Repeat until the dish is lined with ladyfingers.
Spoon half the mascarpone mixture on the ladyfingers and smooth out in an even layer. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and cocoa powder. Make a second layer of dipped ladyfingers, spoon the rest of the mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon and cocoa powder. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in the fridge (at least a couple of hours, 1 day is best). Serve cold.
I’ve made this Tiramisu three time and I only got compliments on it. I also noticed that a lot of Tiramisu recipes have eggs in it. I’ve never tried making a Tiramisu with an other recipe since I love this one but I have to say that I don’t think I would make a dessert full of raw eggs…
- 1 week left to submit your entry for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge!
- On Monday, January 31, Steph’s Bite by Bite is hosting a bake sale. I am making Vegan Dark Chocolate and Pear Cookies!
Have a great week!!