I tend to go through phases for homemade milk. I’ll make some plain homemade almond milk for a couple weeks, and then go back to the convenience of buying the store-bought stuff. Although the homemade milk if a thousand times better, it does take a bit of time and planning (not that much, but still), and it doesn’t stay fresh for long.
What I do like is to treat myself from time to time with some flavoured, sweet homemade milks. I made a couple flavours already, but always end up drinking the whole thing before taking pictures (I do share it with friends too). Hopefully, I will make those flavours again and share them here, but for now I have one of my favourites, although it really is a special treat as pistachios are quite expansive.
This milk has subtle notes of vanilla and a cardamom flavour that still doesn’t overpower the sweet pistachio taste. If you like pistachio ice cream, you will definitely love this milk. It was a perfect post-workout treat!
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup pistachios (raw, unsalted), soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
- pinch fine sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth (with my Blendtec, I used the whole juice setting twice).
- Strain through a nut milk bag or several layers of cheesecloth.
- Chill and store in the refrigerator.
- If you want to use the pulp, you can add it to your cereal or sweet breads, or dehydrate for future use.