Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi

by Charlie Rioux on March 22, 2012

I just got home. It’s late. It’s time for dinner and I am starving.  And I have no idea what I am going to eat. I think about what I have to work with. I do have a package of gnocchi… Maybe I could do something with it.

A little search in my bookmarked recipes, and I’m in the kitchen making a quick, delicious dinner:

Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi

Adaptation of Fresh Gnocchi with Mushroom Cream Sauce, The Culinary Chronicles

Ingredients:

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water
  • 1 package (500g) gnocchi
  • Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, make your sauce.

Melt butter with olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, parsley and thyme and cook until tender. Add stock an increase to medium-high heat. Once the stock comes to a boil, reduce to medium heat and add cream and cornstarch mixture. Bring back to a boil and cook on medium-low for 2-4 minutes.

Add gnocchi to boiling water and cook according to package directions (usually takes 2-3 minutes, like the sauce! ;)).

Add gnocchi to the sauce and mix. Serve garnished with parmesan if desired.

Serves 3-4

This sauce is extra-mega-quick-and-easy to make. And so, so good. It tastes like Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup with MORE mushrooms. And with gnocchi ;).

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Steffanie March 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I really don’t like mushroom but this looks interesting…I am not sure if my family will love this…Anyway, thanks a lot for this idea…

Lacy @ NYCityEats March 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Mmmm this sounds amazing. I love a good gnocchi dish, this just sounds like heaven! Creamy, delicious heaven! Yum!

Amy March 26, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Mmm.. that looks great! Okay, I am a little bit biased since I love mushrooms. Thanks for the recipe!

Victoria Battle March 26, 2012 at 4:49 AM

The dish seems really wonderful and mouth watering. My hub doesn’t like mushrooms but I hope he will surely love this dish. I will surely make it this weekend.

Ashleen Moreen March 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM

What a great looking dish but I admit that I don’t like to eat mushroom it is just it stock up in my throat every time I try to eat it.

Marie Duplanty March 28, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I usually love to make new dishes. I have never tried to make mushroom dish as it always seems to me too messy but this dish too different to me. So, I am going to try this one out. Hope I can make something good. ;)

Vivien March 30, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Yeah! It looks like Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup. I’d like to pair it with some ginger toast. Yum and thanks for the recipe. :)

Mary Beckett May 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I have taken mushrooms before but not prepared in this style. I will have to try preparing that using the recipe you have provided It looks so yummy.

Kevin Mark June 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM

What an easy meal to make and looks delicious too.