In order to be perfect, I have to:
- Get straight As. A+ is better.
- Have a clean apartment 24/7.
- Wash the dishes 5 minutes or less after eating.
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
- Make most of my meals.
- Never miss a recipe.
- Never eat too much.
- Go to the gym 5-6 times a week.
- Follow my budget strictly.
- Never buy something I don’t really need.
- Be happy all the time.
- Drink enough water.
- Sleep 8 hours every night.
- Go to sleep and wake up at approximately the same time every day.
- There is probably something else.
I didn’t just make that list.
Last week, I cried because I wasn’t able to do all of the above.
Is it sane to want so much from myself? No.
Do I know it is impossible to be perfect? Yes.
Do I still think I should be? Sometimes, yes.
And that is not OK.
Having goals is great but we have to stop thinking that we can do it all. Because we can’t. We are all human beings.
And when I cry because I’m not perfect – it is because I actually think that most people are!
Let me tell you: there is not a single person on this planet that is perfect. Now – find a way to believe it.
And no one thinks that you should be perfect – this is the one harder to believe. For me, anyway.
I am scared to be a disappointment to those who love me. And so I ask too much from myself. I believe that writing it will help. And so I did.